Monday, October 19, 2009

Fall!


The clouds are back and so is cooler weather. When Fall comes along, it becomes my favorite season (the same could be said for Spring - I love watching nature transform). Here in the Pacific Northwest, we may not get the huge, brilliant swathes of color that you get in the Northeast, but we do get a little of it here and there. I have some bright orangey-yellow cherry trees lining the street in front of my house, and down the street and around the corner is a fantastic, almost neon, orange maple in someone's front yard. The contrast of the bright leaves against the dark, dark branches is amazing. Love it!

The cooler Fall weather, of course, also stirs up my need to knit stuff. Lots of stuff. I started off with these beautiful Embossed Leaves socks from my go-to sock book, Interweave's "Favorite Socks."


I've been eyeing this pattern ever since I received the book for Christmas one year, but have never really had the right yarn for it. A little over a month ago I picked up some Sockotta Yarn from the Plymouth Yarn Co. It's a cotton-wool blend - something I had not knit with yet - and I thought it would be perfect for Fall or Spring, when the weather is cool enough for hand-knit socks, but still maybe a little too warm for pure wool. After bringing it home and flipping through my sock book, I realized that it would be the perfect yarn for that pattern. The cotton creates great stitch definition, and the wool brings some softness and a little give to the party. All in all, it makes for some very pretty, and very comfy socks.


The only problem is that, even after doing a gauge swatch, the socks came out a little loose. I was worried they would be too snug (but that didn't stop me from knitting them anyway) because the pattern was written for feet that are about a half an inch smaller than mine, both around and long. But it seems that I knit lace a little looser than I knit stockinette. Oops! They are only a little loose though, and perfectly wearable. I'm thinking that after washing they may tighten up a bit. I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment