Friday, August 21, 2009

Painting and Other Things



It has been way too long since my last post, and I have done so many things that I think the easiest way to share them all would be to just post some pictures. But before I do that, let me first share the one thing that Jon and I were able to get done on his week off, despite everyone in the house taking turns getting sick with various colds and flus (it's my turn right now - yucky sore throat).

We wanted to gather items for a future garage sale, install a garage door opener, and paint the kitchen and the rest of the family room. We did manage to paint the kitchen and breakfast nook:





I wasn't sure about it at first, but now that all the tape is off I love it! That blue especially gives me warm fuzzies every time I look at it - and it looks different as the light changes all throughout the day. My blog background color throws it off a bit - you will need to click on the picture to get it by itself and get a more accurate representation.

We used a technique that was new to us since the last time we painted. When taping up the mouldings (and the ceiling), we left a very small gap between the edge of the tape and the wall, about 1/16". Then, we applied paintable caulk and wiped the excess off with our pinky fingers, leaving just a tissue-paper thin layer behind. This seals up the tape and keeps the paint from leaking underneath. When you peel the tape back off, you have a perfect edge. It was amazing. I wish I had known about it before. In case you are interested, I read about it here. I've always been so frustrated when I've peeled up the painters tape that is supposed to prevent paint from getting onto my molding, only to find that it has still seeped under in spots - many spots. Now I just wish I could turn back time and do that with the one painted wall in our family room. Boy, is it sloppy looking in comparison.

Okay, sorry for going on and on about that. Here are pictures of some of the other things I've been doing in the last month or so:


I finished the pin cushion caddy from Anna Maria Horner's "Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing."



I've been making jam. Lots of jam. Strawberry and Rasberry, and I have blackberries and plums in the freezer waiting to become jam as well.


This is a "nursing apron." I've actually finished it, but I don't have a picture of the completed project yet. No, I'm not pregnant, but I do plan to have a second, and I thought I should make an experimental one before making any for friends.

I have also been knitting a lot, but I can't put any pictures up because they are gifts and the recipients might visit the blog. I'll try and remember to show you once the gifts have been received.

Okay, that's it. I'll try not to let so much time go by between blogs next time!

2 comments:

  1. I love the blue and green colors you chose! You should post a wider-screen shot so we can see more!
    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shannon! Ummm...The reason my pictures are so narrow is because...um...my kitchen was a disaster at the time. lol! I'll try and get a better picture up today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete