Monday, August 24, 2009

Meal Planning


We have been eating out too often again. Yes, we have been busy, and tired, and then this last week we were sick and our kitchen was out of commission for 2 days while we were painting it. HOWEVER, if we had planned our meals ahead of time, it would not have been such a problem. We could have at least frozen something that could then be popped in the oven on the days that we were painting. On the sick days, only one of us was sick at a time, so the other one could have cooked if we had planned ahead and had the supplies on hand. And, to tell you the truth, we have been eating out often for several weeks now, way before we were alternately sick and painting.

So, I am going to make a real effort to plan out meals for the week again. Now, Jon is actually the one that does most of the cooking around here. He enjoys it, and it helps him decompress from work. I'm not real in to cooking, especially after chasing after a toddler all day. I'm more of a baker than a cook. However, Jon's hours have changed so that he's getting home a lot closer to dinner time than he used to, and is often in need of a chance to sit and relax for a few minutes before getting started in the kitchen. I should really make an effort to cook more. So I'm also going to try and cook dinner for part of the week as well, if Jon doesn't mind, that is. ;)

Today, when I had finished my lunch and Owen was still munching on his, I grabbed a pad of paper and a pen, and planned out the meals for the week. Earlier I took a quick glance in the freezer to see what was waiting for us in there and found, among other things, hamburger patties and chicken thighs. So here is what I have planned out for the week:

Monday:
hamburgers, salad, and fruit

Tuesday:
chicken curry with rice and peas, and maybe naan if I'm up to making it

Wednesday:
leftover chicken curry et. al.

Thursday:
the Moroccan meal that I've been wanting to try from Melissa D'Arabia's new show, "10 Dollar Dinners." - This will be my cooking night.

Friday:
leftover Moroccan

Saturday:
eat out

Sunday:
TBD, depending on whether or not we have leftovers from Saturday.

Notice I still allowed one day for going out. Or carrying out, depending on what we feel like that day. I have no problem with taking a break once a week and indulging in a restaurant craving. We might also switch it up - maybe we'll eat out as a Friday treat, and eat Thursday's leftovers on Saturday. The point is, we will be making most of our own meals, and that will be a vast improvement. I think that once we get through our frozen meat stash, it will be nice to incorporate 1 or 2 vegetarian meals into the week as well. But, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment