Friday, May 15, 2009

I Must Remind Myself...

...my house does not have to be perfect. I just need to do what I can, and that is good enough.

I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to make my house perfect because we are having my son's second birthday party tomorrow. All the guests are family. They all know that I am not a perfect housekeeper, and not a single one of them has ever commented on it, because they don't care. That's exactly how it should be. And yet, here I am, stressing about it all when I should be enjoying the fact that my son is 2! Granted, a few of the guests haven't seen the new house yet, so they will be getting the grand tour. That means the upstairs will be viewed, including the master bathroom (which is really awful right now - and that would even be thought by someone with lower standards than mine), and the office and the sewing room, which are filled with boxes and weird random objects that we haven't created homes for yet. Why exactly do I think anyone will care?

So tomorrow, I will get done what I can, and I will stop worrying about the things that I can't get to (although I will at least get the bathroom tidied up). I will enjoy the day and the company. I will laugh away the fact that there are still random unpacked boxes in odd corners of the house. I will make cupcakes. I will joke about the one small picture hanging forlornly in the middle of the largest wall in the family room (hung there in a panic before hosting Christmas to cover up a square of green paint that we were sampling). Most of the guests have been over several times since then anyway. You just think I would have done something about these things by now.

But I haven't. I will get to them when I get to them, and I will stop feeling guilty about not having done so as of yet.

Yeah.

So there.

1 comment:

  1. You have your head on straight. There are more important things than a sparkling home.

    ReplyDelete