Sunday, April 26, 2009

Spring Cleaning

I'm sorry I haven't felt much like writing lately. Probably because I've been so tired at the end of each day from all of the housework and gardening.

I started Spring Cleaning last week - mostly concentrating on the kitchen. I emptied out the fridge and scrubbed it down. What a repulsive task. I will never let it get that bad again. NEVER. How it happened in the first place is beyond me - but I will definitely be keeping an eagle eye out for anything that may have been forgotten and pushed to the back and I will get it out of there before it developes its own eco system. My husband and I have developed a new system and we are both going to follow it: brand new leftovers go on the top shelf on the right. The next day, they get moved to the second shelf and anything new replaces it on the top. The next day, they get moved to the bottom, and the day after that, if they still have not been eaten, they are tossed. That's it. End of story. Should be easy enough to follow, right? Also, every night or two, one of us will poke our head in there and check the non-leftovers (lunch meat, fruits and veggies, etc) for expiration dates and any signs of going bad, and anything that doesn't make the cut is history.

Also, all dishes will be washed (unless they absolutely need to soak overnight) before bedtime. If they don't fit in the dishwaser, they will be handwashed. Otherwise, I'm finding that the kitchen explodes rather quickly. This is especially bad in our house, because the kitchen is all open to the rest of the main floor, so if it's a disaster, it feels like the entire downstairs is a disaster - and then I stress over trying to catch it all back up again. From now on, I will simply not let it get to the point where it will need to be caught up.

Next week: Laundry room. I don't know what happened, but I can barely get in there. And that makes me put off doing laundry until somebody complains that they are out of underwear, because shuffling everything around to get the washer or dryer door open is such a pain in the patoot. Now, the laundry room is really tiny, and we have a two year old, and this tiny laundry room is a convenient place to shove things too keep them out of reach and/or sight of the two year old, as well as last minute guests. But, when we do that, we need to go back later and take those things back out of there and put them where they belong.

Obviously I have veered away from accomplishing my New Year's Resolution to keep the house in order. I'm trying really hard to get back on track. I think that some aspects of my housecleaning schedule need to be tweeked. For instance, I'm finding that trying to do all of the laundry twice a week just isn't realistic for me. I think I'm more of a one or two loads every day kind of a girl. One load of laundry is much more likely to get done than six. I can do lights and darks one day, jeans the next, towels the day after that, etc.

Anyway, it's getting late, and I feel like I'm beginning to ramble. So that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment