Monday, April 13, 2009

Sourdough Cinnamon Buns and Easter Eggs for Grownups

I've caught a yucky bug that's been going around, and I'm feeling pretty crummy, so this will be brief. I've had a very busy week trying to catch up on housework (only to get sick and have it all go back downhill again) and get ready for Easter, which is why I haven't posted in a while.

One of Jon's coworkers gave us some of his sourdough starter this week, which was very awesome of him. It was given to his wife's aunt fifty years ago when she moved to Alaska and her neighbors found out somehow that she didn't have any bread starter. So, they gave her some of theirs. We have no idea how long it had been around then, so we don't know how old it really is, but we do know that it is old. Jon and I made these with it yesterday for Easter dessert.

All I can say is WOW.

Best cinnamon buns EVER.

Well, okay, they were a little too gooey for Jon, but he's weird. He's not huge on Cinnabons(R) either. Weirdo. (He says he does like our rolls - he just thinks we should go lighter on the filling next time. Whatever).

We left out the nuts and raisins because we were serving them to Jon's dad, who is Picky, with a capital "P." (He approved, by the way. Said they were delicious.) However, we did freeze a section of uncooked rolls that had the pecans in them. Jon thinks nuts will help. Well, duh. Nuts make everything better.


Also, I made these:

I like to call them Easter Eggs for Grownups.
Instructions are here. I used cheesecloth to hold my plants in place instead of the nylons that the instructions called for because, oddly, I happened to have cheesecloth (which I never have) and I did not have any old nylons (which I always seem to have, although I rarely wear them). I must have purged them when we moved. The cheesecloth made a little check design in places, but I rather like it.

(Please note: these are hollow eggshells. If you are going to make these with boiled eggs instead of blown eggs, please DO NOT EAT THEM - especially if you don't know if the plants that you used for the designs are safe to eat. The juices could seep through micro-fissures in the eggshell, and if the plants that you used are poisonous, that would be VERY BAD. Also, I found a turkey baster works quite well for blowing eggs if, like me, you are squeemish about using your mouth for it.)

Okay, so post not so brief after all. I guess I had more to say than I thought I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment