Monday, March 16, 2009

New on the Needles...

I did tell you that, given a little time, I would be knitting something again. Maybe it was the little bit of snow that came through my neighborhood again, or maybe it was just the fact that I can't seem to go very long without the feel of soft yarn wrapped around my fingers and smooth bamboo needles on my fingertips. Or, perhaps it was because the Spring issue of Knitty came out! I found a few things there that I would like to knit, but I was most excited about this!

I have always loved Art Nouveau, so I was thrilled to find a sock pattern that was inspired by it. I love the combination of cables and lace on the leg of the sock, which turn into an intricate cable panel along the instep. Gorgeous!

Here's what I have so far:



The yarn that I'm using is Berocco Comfort Sock in Southland (1813), which I happened to have laying around unused in my stash. Now, normally I prefer some natural fiber content in my yarns. It doesn't have to be 100% - I'm not a total yarn snob, just a little bit of one. But I do like the larger percentage to be wool or cotton or whatever. This yarn, however, is 50% nylon, 50% acrylic. It felt very nice in the store though. I also loved the colorway, and, best of all, it was cheap and therefore allowed me to justify buying just one more skein of sock yarn along with the two other more expensive skeins that I already had in my cart. A little extra convincing from my mom, who happened to be with me, and I went ahead and bought it. So far, I think I'm glad I did. I saw some mixed reviews on Ravelry about this yarn - some people loved it, some hated it. I will agree that it is a little splitty, but so is a lot of higher quality wool yarn out there. I'm actually finding it quite nice to work with. I'm also liking how the yarn is fairly smooth - I think it will cause the cables on this sock to stand out nicely. Another bonus: as it is not wool, it might be cool enough to wear in the Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment