Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Gardening Bug

I'm going to try my hand at vegetable gardening. I've never grown anything edible, and frankly, I'm a bit of a novice at growing non-edible things as well. But darnit, I live out in farm country, and although I don't have a farm, I feel like I should still be growing stuff. Besides, I have a yard in which to grow them now. Well, actually, I had a yard in the last house too, but it was about the size of a postage stamp and hopelessly overgrown with weeds to the point where, when it came time to sell, we had it professionally landscaped in the most low maintenance plan ever; lots of bark and rocks, plants in pots, and NO GRASS.

Now we have grass that Jon is delighting in mowing (although it took quite a beating with the heavy snows this winter), and plenty of space for bushes and flowers, and yes, a small victory garden. Yesterday I bought some seed packets for carrots, pumpkins, arugula, and beets (which I don't like, but Jon says is good practice because they are difficult to screw up). Yes, I know that it is not yet time to plant some of those, and I found out after getting home that it is not recommended to start carrots and beets indoors. Those will have to wait a few months. In a few weeks though, I can do some seed starts for the pumpkins and lettuce. I have seed starter containers and these interesting coconut plugs that you put in the containers, add water, and push the seeds into. I've never seen them before, but then again, I've never done indoor seed starting before. In fact, I think the only experience I really have with planting seeds are some marigolds that my mom and I planted when I was about 4 years old. When we moved later that year, we forgot them, and I was sad. Ah well.

Anyway, you will be hearing more about my bumbling adventures as a beginner gardener, no doubt. Any tips will be most welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Actually you started the marigolds in preschool for Mother's Day. I didn't have the heart to tell you I dislike marigolds. But you didn't choose the type of flower to plant anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Haha - okay, so they got left behind "on accident." I'm just kidding.

    ReplyDelete