Thursday, January 8, 2009

He's back!

The super-crazed toddler has left the building and my sweetheart is back! Last night he went right to sleep (early too) and slept until after 7, with just one minor crying episode at 5:45 when he didn't have one of his binkies and wasn't awake enough to try looking for it. As soon as I located it and he had it clutched tightly in his hand, he rolled right over and went back to sleep.

So far today, he has not been cranky, he has only had one small time-out for climbing onto the coffee table, and he has been active and giggly. He has taken a new delight in pulling a chair out from the kitchen table, climbing up onto it (this is quite a production), and sitting up at the table like a grown-up. He wants to eat his snacks that way, and I let him as long as he keeps the messy ones (ie: graham crackers) at the table. If he wants to get down, he needs to leave the snack behind.

Speaking of eating, I discovered a fantastic trick for getting Owen to eat his vegetables: give him ketchup to dip them in! He ate ALL of his green beans at lunch this way. Sounds disgusting, I know, but I tried one and it's actually not that bad. It covers up the frozen green bean flavor quite nicely (I prefer fresh except in green bean casserole, but with a toddler, you have to be able to cook some things up quickly.) Granted, he did end up with ketchup in his hair, but that's fine. If it gets him to eat something green, I can certainly live with him smelling faintly vinegary until his nightly bath. Last night I mixed some mashed peas in with ketchup and he dipped his chicken nuggets and baked fries in it. I tried giving him just the mashed peas on their own first, but he just wanted to play with them and refused to put any in his mouth. I had tried mashing the peas because he no longer will eat them whole, even though he loved them that way several months ago. I thought maybe a spoon would make them more fun. Fun, yes? Edible, apparently not. But with ketchup? Now that's a whole different story. (By the way, mashed peas and ketchup look really disgusting, but Owen didn't mind as long as they were no longer green, I guess.)

Another funny thing: So, a few weeks ago, when we got our first snow of the winter (little did we know we were about to be snowed in for over a week), I realized that Owen did not have any mittens for which to go play in the snow with the next morning. So I found an easy pattern on Ravelry and frantically knit him up a pair in the space of about 3 hours. The mittens didn't work very well because I misread the pattern and didn't put enough rows of ribbing on the wrist part to help keep them on. We spent the entire outing the next day picking up mittens and shoving them back onto wiggly little hands that didn't really want them on in the first place. It was much too cold to let him go without them though, so we persevered, and made the outing a short one. The next day, before the bigger dumping of snow occurred, Jon drove into town to gather supplies and found some better mittens for Owen there.

This story is going somewhere, I promise....

So today, I had Owen help me switch laundry loads by handing him wet bibs and such from the washer and having him put them in the dryer. He did a very good job of it. After I closed the dryer and started a new load of wash, he wanted to stay and watch everything being tossed around through the windows on the washer and dryer doors. I obliged, and we watched and pointed and said "Oooh!" a lot. But then Owen became interested in the buttons (as he always eventually does), so I had to get him out of there lest he mess up the settings. He didn't want to go, so as I gently shoved him backwards out the door, I grabbed one of the defunct mittens off of the drying rack (yes, it was still sitting there after all this time) and handed it to him. This was a sufficent distraction, and he took it out into the family room and examined it for a minute. Then he took it over to his little kitchen, stuck his hand in it, picked up his toy frying pan while wearing it, and put the pan in the oven. He turned it into and oven mitt! Can you believe this kid's imagination? He's only 20 months old, and yet he is SO observant. Maybe this is normal for his age, and maybe it's not -- but either way, he never ceases to amaze me.

Of course, after the initial disbelief, the obsessive knitter in me started elaborate plans in my head on how I might go about knitting him an oven mitt that's easier for him to use (he can't put his thumb in the thumb-hole on his own, so he was having a little difficulty gripping the pan well). Oooh! And maybe his own little potholder or dishcloth or something too! Some of you are probably rolling your eyes right now. It's okay, I know that I'm rapidly approaching the deep-end with this knitting obsession, but at least I haven't started spinning yet (You know I will some day). And I try to be economical with the yarns that I buy....so far.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I find it really difficult to get the knack of the circular needles. They can be really springy and out of control until you get into the rhythm of the needles. Then you don't want to stop knitting or you will have to go through the "spring-sprong" again. That is my Five Cents about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been having trouble getting used to that. I did find that this pattern is really nice for circular needle beginners though, because it starts out flat for a couple of inches, and is then joined and worked in the round - this way, it is easy to keep from twisting it when joining. Maybe I already said that in another post. If so, whoops!

    ReplyDelete