Sunday, January 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Ethan!

Today is Owen's cousin Ethan's 1st birthday! I can't believe it has been a year already! Yesterday there was a party at Mom and Dad's with lots of delicious food. We all had a great time, though Owen started to act up towards the end there, but after a few time outs, things got better again.

I haven't felt much like writing lately. I've just been so exhausted. Owen is cutting yet another tooth, and is back to being scary psycho toddler again. I'm trying to take it in stride, but after a week of it, it's been getting to me. It's funny - before Owen started teething, everyone told me that the first tooth is really awful, but then babies seem to get accustomed to it and it's not so bad. Maybe for some babies, bot never for Owen. Every tooth bothers him just as much as the first one did. The molars are even worse.

On top of that, I'm dealing with picky eating. That ketchup trick that I wrote about a few posts ago...that worked once. I've tried to give him green beans since then, and he won't have anything to do with them, ketchup or no ketchup. Peas? No way. I don't get it, he used to LOVE peas. Now, if it's green, forget it. It can't be good. He's pretty good about canned carrots (not fresh or frozen - they have to be canned. Disgusting), He will eat sweet potato fries at a restaurant (I haven't been able to make them correctly for him), and that's about it. As for fruit: raisins, applesauce, occasionally cubed raw apple (Fuji's only), banana (which I can't give him often because it stops him up, if you know what I mean), and sugary jammy berry fillings in things like snack bars are all I can get in him. This child prefers startch, meat, and cheese (and milk) to all other things.

So! I went out and bought Jessica Seinfeld's "Deceptively Delicious" today and am very excited to try some of these things out. Although I would prefer Owen to eat vegetables willingly, he's just not going to right now; so I see nothing wrong with hiding them in the things he loves. I will still offer veggies straight because he might accept them some day, but when he doesn't, at least I will know that he's still getting the nutrients that he needs.

Flipping through the recipes today, there were some hand-to-forehead moments (pureed carrot in spaghetti sauce? Of course!), and some "you're kidding, really?" moments (spinach in brownies? seriously? I've got to try that and see if it really works!) Seinfeld also sneaks in other nutritional ingredients, like flax seed and whole-grain everything. Jon and I picked a few recipes to start out with and bought some of the most frequently used veggies to puree this week. Cauliflower is used a lot, which makes sense, because it has no color and not a lot of flavor. It has a ton of Vitamin C though! Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash are used often too. Owen used to love these, but hasn't been interested lately (except for those fries, of course). Now I just have to dig the food processor parts out of the garage so that I can get puree-in'. I'll keep you all posted as to how well the recipes are accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment